Safety Tips for Portable Generators, Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
1) All detectors require the following maintenance.
- Change The Batteries every 6 MONTHS – remember when you change your clock, change your batteries.
- Clean Detectors with a vacuum cleaner at the same time.
- Test every month.
- REFD recommends you replace the Carbon Monoxide Detector every 5 YEARS.
2) Double your protection with both Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors.
- Install both types of detectors or combination detectors on every floor.
- Special attention for Carbon Monoxide should be taken in areas where your furnace, hot water heater and clothes dryer are located.
3) Generator Safety – If your portable generator is gasoline or propane operated be sure to be aware of the following:
- Gasoline operated generators produce Carbon Monoxide
- Locate the generator outside at least 15-20 feet away from any part of the building to ensure proper ventilation.
- Do not attempt to add gasoline while the generator is operating, a fire can easily occur.
If you have any questions about the keeping your family and home safe, and the proper and safe use of generators, or detector maintenance feel free to contact the REFD at 201-599-REFD (7333) and someone will return your call.
Always remember if you have an EMERGENCY TO DIAL 9-1-1